Metabase Fails w/ Elastic Beanstalk MySQL

Has anyone had any success whatever with a Metabase Elastic Beanstalk installation with the MySQL option? If so please share your experience. Mine has been as follows:

MySQL consistently fails whereas PostgreSQL succeeds under identical conditions that can be reproduced by first setting up a proper VPC with Private/Public Subnets.

v0.31.2 zip file
Using Elastic Beanstalk with Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC with Private and Public Subnets)
GitHub awsdocs/elastic-beanstalk-samples (vpc-privatepublic.yaml template)

A deep dive into the resulting Elastic Beanstalk Health Reports, Events Logs, and detailed RDS install logs reveals nothing that I can see. Combing thru Elastic Beanstalk Troubleshooting and Load Balancer Troubleshooting (HTTP 502: Bad Gateway) hasn’t led anywhere. Nor has copiously searching the web.

After several days of trying I’ve pretty much given up hope that Metabase can be installed with the MySQL option on Elastic Beanstalk. Reluctantly I’ve had to settle on PosgreSQL but for my use case that means additional expense, maintenance, and complications. So this is a last ditch effort to see if anyone out there has actually succeeded in having Metabase, Elastic Beanstalk, and MySQL play nice together.