Metabase is very slow since upgrade


I’ll try my best to report my situation (which we consider a bug) as well as I can.
We recently upgraded from v0.37.8 to v0.41.0, and since the upgrade, we have a lot of slow questions or timeouts which we didn’t have before.
For example, a question took 1.7 minutes to display the result, where the same query run in Postgres took ~330ms.

Both the PG instance and the Metabase instance seem to have plenty of RAM or CPU available (~25% used for both)

Sometimes, the query never returns and displays an error message.

Our XLSX exports are also unusable at the moment as they are time outing at least 9 times out of 10.

CSV exports seems to be more usable, but timeouts at the same rate than the questions do.

We’re running metabase through a JAR file on our own server. Host metrics let us think that we have ~4GB of available memory and ~75% of available CPU.

The browser is not the root cause as we’re experiencing this issue with multiple browsers (Safari / Chrome / Brave) on multiple OS (Mac OS / Window)

Diagnostic info:
"browser-info": {
"language": "fr-FR",
"platform": "MacIntel",
"userAgent": "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/94.0.4606.81 Safari/537.36",
"vendor": "Google Inc."
"system-info": {
"file.encoding": "UTF-8",
"": "OpenJDK Runtime Environment",
"java.runtime.version": "1.8.0_302-b08",
"java.vendor": "Temurin",
"java.vendor.url": "",
"java.version": "1.8.0_302",
"": "OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM",
"java.vm.version": "25.302-b08",
"": "Linux",
"os.version": "5.14.9+",
"user.language": "en",
"user.timezone": "UTC"
"metabase-info": {
"databases": [
"hosting-env": "unknown",
"application-database": "postgres",
"application-database-details": {
"database": {
"name": "PostgreSQL",
"version": "9.6.11"
"jdbc-driver": {
"name": "PostgreSQL JDBC Driver",
"version": "42.2.23"
"run-mode": "prod",
"version": {
"tag": "v0.41.0",
"date": "2021-10-06",
"branch": "release-x.41.x",
"hash": "c529fe2"
"settings": {
"report-timezone": null

Hi @NK_DataAnalyst
Post "Diagnostic Info" from Admin > Troubleshooting.
And check the logs for more detailed errors - Admin > Troubleshooting > Logs.

1 Like

@flamber, thank you for quick answer. I added the info to the post

@NK_DataAnalyst Upgrade to Java 11:
I'm asking for this based on previous forum topic: Slow csv and excel download

And upgrade to Metabase 0.41.1, when it's released maybe later today.

Hello @flamber, thank you for the advice. Upgrading Java made things go a little faster but we still encounter issues with questions that do not load and xlsx downloads that cannot be opened. The same "Something went wrong" error message is showed.


  1. Upgrade to 0.41.1:
  2. Logs are everything, without those I have absolute no idea. Admin > Troubleshooting > Logs.