Metabase not starting on MacOS

I installed the Mac application but it freezes on starting up. Uninstalled and installed again but the splash screen just freezes.

1 Like

Hi @rahul

I’m guessing you installed the latest 0.33.3, but just want to verify?

If you wait on the “splash screen” for a minute, and then press cmd+R to refresh the page, does that do anything?

Otherwise I guess we have to look at the log from startup to failure.
You should have a file metabase.log located in ~/Library/Application Support/Metabase/ (but I don’t have Mac, so unsure).

me too :’(

@phile
Please post the log - without the log, it’s almost impossible to figure out what’s going on.

I just get the content from metabase.db.trace.db:
2019-10-04 15:30:07 jdbc[4]: exception
org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLException: Table “DATABASECHANGELOGLOCK” not found; SQL statement:
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM PUBLIC.DATABASECHANGELOGLOCK [42102-197]

@phile
The trace file is less important. It’s the log that should have all the details about where it’s crashing.

EDIT: If you don’t have anything saved and is just trying Metabase for the first time, then you can remove the data (when Metabase is closed) from ~/Library/Application Support/Metabase/, which will reset everything and you will be able to run the setup again.

I removed already 2,3 times but got no luck. So how can I find and send the log file?

@phile
The log file should be in the same directory. I don’t have Mac, so I can’t reproduce.
Are you also running 0.33.3?

Yeah I'm using the latest version, I can upload an image but the log file is not an image (metabase.db.trace.db? ) so I can't upload here. How can I send the log file to you?

@phile
The trace file (metabase.db.trace.db) is not the log. I’m interested in the log file, which might be called metabase.log

That's all in my directory, no log file :cry:

@phile
Okay, then we’ll have to see if @maz can help tomorrow with how to debug the Mac App, since he’s using Mac.

Otherwise, the only “solution” I can recommend right now is to run Metabase as a JAR-file or Docker container, but that’s somewhat more advanced than the Mac App.

I can start by jar file but not sure why the application can not start, strange :-?

Hi, i'm having the same issue (running on 0.37.2 version) and I dont have trace or log file.

Did you find a solution ?