Metabase Open a 1000+ querys to PrestoDb

Hello Guys,

I'm trying to use Prestodb with metabase, but I couldn't sync my tables metadata with metabase, every time that I tried to sync metabase open more than a 1000+ of querys and my presto goes down.

Anyone has any idea how to solve this?

Metabase version: 0.39.3

Thank you

1 Like

Hi @rubenssoto
Can you show one of the queries you're seeing. There's three different types of analysis: sync, fingerprint and scan - and the all have their own distinct queries.
There's a known issue with the Presto driver, where everything is slower on versions above 0.39.1:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/16380

I tried with 0.39.1 version, but same problem

It is an query for example:

SELECT TRUE AS "_" FROM "raw_mary_poppins"."order" WHERE 1 <> 1 LIMIT 0

this query returns nothing

@rubenssoto That query checks if Metabase has select-privileges to the table, so it knows if it can include the table or not.

Any idea why it is happening? Works with presto is very important to us.

@rubenssoto There are many thousands of Metabase setups - and many with Presto, so I'm not sure why you're seeing this.
I'm guessing it's something specific to your setup or Presto version. I cannot reproduce.
There's work being done to change from HTTP to JDBC for Presto queries, which might fix the problem you're having - I don't know when it will be available in final releases.

Can you provide an option: do you need to detectBecause this test will query every table once, we have tens of thousands of tables, and the system resources will be exhausted.

@utopian How is Metabase supposed to display which tables/columns are available in a database, so it can be shown in the Metabase interface, without analyzing your database?
You can disable all sync functionality - this is a hack and might have negative consequences:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/10398#issuecomment-514412107

@flamber
Now I'm in a situation where I can't even synchronize metadata to metabase for the first time. The reason is that Presto is unable to complete a validation query for each table. There are about 10000 queries.

@utopian We have talked about this in other topics. I cannot reproduce, so if you can provide a way to reproduce it, then feel free to open an issue.