Metabase questions broken after upgrade to 0.33.4

Hi all,

I have created a clone of our current Metabase environment to test an upgrade from 0.28.1 to 0.33.4. I’m finding there are two main issues which I am struggling to fix:

1. Database connection issues
    I have 2 MySQL database connections which are working intermittently. They both reference the same server, but different databases within the server. After seeing some of my questions not loading, I went to investigate the connections. When I went to edit and save both connections, I got the following message: “Host ‘’ is blocked because of many connection errors; unblock with ‘mysqladmin flush-hosts’”. I connected to the database instance and ran the following command: FLUSH HOSTS;.

This fixed only one of the connections. The other connection then came up with the following error message: “Could not connect to :3306 : PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target”.

After about 10-15 minutes, the original error message comes back for both database connections.

I also did the edit and save on both connections on the instance we have running in production, and they both came back saying “Successfully saved!”.

1. Question FK Error
    For the questions that do have a successful database connection, whenever I try to load them, I get some variant of the following message: “Could not resolve [:fk-> [:field-id 1573] [:field-id 1543]]”

I’ve had a look on GitHub for (slightly) similar issues, but most seem to be for version 0.32.X which are closed. Has anyone else experienced these issues?

Environment Details:
Docker via Elastic Beanstalk on AWS, t3.small
PostgreSQL RDS instance 10.6
Browser: Firefox 70.0

Hi @msatti
Can you check the log (Admin > Troubleshooting > Logs) for more details?
Which version of MySQL are you connecting to? Are you using certificates for the connections?