Metabase - Snowflake Database always defaults to PUBLIC schema

Hello all,

so my problem is in the title, really! I manage to connect to my Snowflake database, but independently of what value I choose for the schema, it always defaults to PUBLIC.

I have been snooping around but couldn’t find anyone with the same problem. Does anyone have any idea of why this could be happening?

Thanks a lot!

Hi @Fred
I don’t use Snowflake, but it sounds related to this issue:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/9511
Currently Metabase doesn’t handle case-sensitivity correctly with Snowflake - could that be the issue.
Check the logs of Snowflake and Metabase (Admin > Troubleshooting > Logs)

Thanks for the fast response! Unfortunately everything is already in all caps for me ; (
Also checked the logs but I see no mention of schema anywhere.

Cheers.

@Fred
It’s the first time I’ve seen someone reporting a problem like this. And looking at many of the issues and forum posts, that can connect to their schema, I would guess it’s something with your setup specifically.
Which version of Metabase?
If you do a re-sync/scan (Admin > Databases > snowflake db), does it sync the correct schema (check the logs)?

Hi,

Metabase version 0.32.8.
I have checked the logs after re-syncing and there are some mentions of syncing to a schema, but no actual mention of what schema it is. But afterwards it syncs with the tables on the public schema.
Thanks!

@Fred
Would it be possible to restrict the user’s access to public and only allow to the schema you want? Again, not knowing anything about Snowflake, so just spitballing.
There has been so many changes since 0.32.8, so it’s difficult to keep up with everything, but I would recommend that you try 0.32.10 or 0.33.3 - remember to backup before, so you can revert if there’s problems.

@flamber thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately I also need access to the public schema. But I will see what I can do about updating it right now. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.