Migrating from H2 to postgres

Hi,
I am currently in the process of migrating from H2 db to AWS RDS postgres instance. I have a metabase running in docker container on a custom server using the H2 db, which I would like to get the dashboards out of. Then I have another metabase app running in EKS, which uses AWS RDS. The AWS metabase is empty, there are no dashboards I have only added some users.

If I migrate the H2 db now to AWS RDS, does it complete overwrite the existing db? Is there a way to migrate only specific parts like dashboards/questions? Does the migrate-to db have to be empty completely?

Cheers

When you migrate you will simply dump the database to a new database and will end up overwriting the existing contents.

There might be a way of picking what you need from the DB and inserting them but it's not trivial and might cause corruption if done wrong

Thanks for the reply, that's exactly what I ended up doing. It is easier to re-do the basic stuff I did in the admin UI than play around with picking out specific tables from the DB.

1 Like