Native SQL Query and user permissions

Ok so I have a new permission group where the users in this group should only see specific database tables and collections. I know how to configure this and it works just fine.

What this also appears to do is make Native SQL questions inoperable. I notice that when turning Data Access to granular in the admin it also turns off Native SQL Editing. This makes the questions built as native sql not work. I note that questions built in Query Builder are unaffected by this. How do I work around this issue?

Hi @tjmule
Since I cannot see the stacktrace from a screenshot, then I'm guessing you're seeing this:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/21695 - upvote by clicking :+1: on the first post

Yeah, that looks like the same issue. This is kind of a big deal to us. We need the ability to show certain users only a certain collection, and that collection contains several Native SQL queries (which I'm pretty sure cannot be reproduced via Query Builder). Is there any way to accomplish this that I'm missing?

@tjmule There's currently no real option if you're using Block permissions at a higher group level. You can however convert the SQL question to a Model, which should then allow it to run, but at the cost of the limitations of Models.
If possible, I would use a View on the database. Otherwise you need to redo your permissions, so the particular group is not blocked on upper levels.

Ok so here's what I have. It's pretty simple. I need the "SRSS External" group to have permission to 2 of my 17 tables AND to be able to see Native SQL queries (just the results -- not the ability to run native sql or edit SQL). How do I implement that? I've tried setting Data Access at the all users level a number of ways and nothing seems to work. It keeps turning off the ability to enable Native SQL....

@tjmule So if you are not using Block permissions, then it's not that issue.

I'm guessing that the questions are then in a collection, which the users don't have permissions to, but it's close to impossible for me to tell from screenshots.

The screenshot would indicate that it should work without any problems.

Please post your stacktraces/errors from Admin > Troubleshooting > Logs. It makes everything much simpler.
And "Diagnostic Info" from Admin > Troubleshooting.