One off report grants?

Hi Metabase folks,

First off, love Metabase. Our university’s reporting edifice is powered by it.

Q: is there a way (yet) to do one off report grants? For the most part, our reports can be gracefully and cleanly categorized (i.e. “Registrar”, “Financial Aid”, “Athletics”, etc.), but every once in a while a scenario will arise where someone in one department will need access to a report “owned” by another department. We accomplish that now by copying the report into a collection that the first user has access, but that brings its own set of problems including the fact that changes to the original report wont propagate to its “clones.”

If this isn’t a feature, it would be a great one!

Thanks,
JG @ Clayton State University

Hi @jgoodson2

I might be misunderstanding what you’re looking for, but what is “reports”? Is that questions or dashboards?

And how should Metabase propagate changes from the original to the copies/clones of the question/dashboard without then overwriting whatever the user has done in those copies/clones?

Think it’s just the terminology that confuses me.

By reports I mean mainly questions but dashboards too. Sorry for confusing the issue.

Re: propagation of changes… Well, I don’t really want that, I was just describing the adverse effects of my current stopgap solution. If I can perform a one off grant to a question to someone who doesn’t have access to the collection in which the question lives, then I would not have to deal with the effects of the temporary solution.

In other words… Question Q lives in Collection C. Person P does not have read access on Collection C. I want to grant Person P access to only Question Q without granting Person P read access on Collection C.

@jgoodson2 Okay, now I understand. I have not seen such feature request before, but it would also require a very big change to the permission model and the added complexity for the user (sharer and reader) would be hard to convey in the UI.
But here’s what you can do, which uses the current permission model in a hierarchy - that would mean that users with access to C would also have to look in S.

• Collection C (no-access for P)
    • Sub-collection S which contains the question(s) you want to share (read-access for P)

Very interesting! Thanks for the feedback!