Hi Metabase Team,
I would like to report a bug in Metabase 0.34.0 related to permission.
According to Metabase Documentation about Collections:
View access: the user can see all the questions, dashboards, and pulses in the collection. If the user does not have permission to view some or all of the questions included in a given dashboard or pulse then those questions will not be visible to them; but any questions that are saved in this collection will be visible to them, even if the user doesn’t have access to the underlying data used to in the question.
This works as expected for Simple/Custom questions, but does not work as expected for SQL questions. In other words, SQL questions cannot be viewed by a user even after that user is granted either
View access or
Curate access to the collection where the question is located, and the Data Permission is either
No Access or
It has two different outputs depending on the Data Permission:
- If Data Permission is
No Access, then there is black pair of keys figure with black text saying “Sorry, you don’t have permission to see that.” (Figure 1)
- If Data Permission is
Data Access, then there is red diagonal cross inside circle figure with red text saying “You do not have permissions to run this query.” (Figure 2)
Figure 1 The output if Data Permission is
Figure 2 The output if Data Permission is
Repeatable steps to reproduce the issue:
- Run metabase.jar for the first time
- Create admin account, e.g.
- As Admin, in People menu, create member account, e.g.
- As Admin, in People menu, create group, e.g.
- As Admin, in People menu, add
- As Admin, in Permissions menu, adjust access for
Sample Datasetto be either
Data Access, depending on the we want to reproduce result in Figure 1 or Figure 2
- As Admin, in Permissions menu, grant
Our analyticsto be either
Curate collection(does not matter)
- As Admin, create a question using native query, e.g.
select * from ORDERS;
- As Admin, save the question in
Our analytics, e.g. as
- As Member, try to view the question
- Member would not be able to view the question, and the output is either Figure 1 or Figure 2
Thank you for your help.
Edit: This bug has also been reported in https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/11672.
Here’s the detail of Metabase in my system.
- Browser and its version: Chrome Version 79.0.3945.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)
- Operating system: macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6
- The type of database(s) connected to Metabase: BigQuery
- The version of Metabase run: 0.34.0
- Metabase hosting environment: Docker
- Metabase’s internal database type: PostgreSQL