pulses don't send automatically

@paulmeta Please post “Diagnostic Info” from Admin > Troubleshooting.
Are you trying to send pulses via email or Slack?
Do you see the log message INFO task.send-pulses :: Sending scheduled pulses... ?

Hey @flamber
We’ve been trying both Slack and Email. Neither posts more than once.
I dont see anything about pulses in diagnostics:

{
“browser-info”: {
“language”: “en-US”,
“platform”: “MacIntel”,
“userAgent”: “Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_4) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/78.0.3904.70 Safari/537.36”,
“vendor”: “Google Inc.”
},
“system-info”: {
“file.encoding”: “UTF-8”,
“java.runtime.name”: “OpenJDK Runtime Environment”,
“java.runtime.version”: “11.0.5+10”,
“java.vendor”: “AdoptOpenJDK”,
“java.vendor.url”: “https://adoptopenjdk.net/”,
“java.version”: “11.0.5”,
“java.vm.name”: “OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM”,
“java.vm.version”: “11.0.5+10”,
“os.name”: “Linux”,
“os.version”: “4.14.67-66.56.amzn1.x86_64”,
“user.language”: “en”,
“user.timezone”: “GMT”
},
“metabase-info”: {
“databases”: [
“mongo”,
“postgres”,
“h2”
],
“hosting-env”: “unknown”,
“application-database”: “postgres”,
“application-database-details”: {
“database”: {
“name”: “PostgreSQL”,
“version”: “11.6”
},
“jdbc-driver”: {
“name”: “PostgreSQL JDBC Driver”,
“version”: “42.2.8”
}
},
“run-mode”: “prod”,
“version”: {
“date”: “2020-04-21”,
“tag”: “v0.35.3”,
“branch”: “release-0.35.x”,
“hash”: “1d424cb”
},
“settings”: {
“report-timezone”: “US/Mountain”
}
}
}

@paulmeta

So you don’t see anything in the log (Admin > Troubleshooting > Logs) about pulses at all? That’s a first.

What’s the trigger details on metabase.task.send-pulses.job in Admin > Troubleshooting > Jobs?

Do you see send-pulses in Admin > Troubleshooting > Tasks every hour on the hour?

I see the following only 1 time in the logs, from 1 week ago, but never again
INFO metabase.task.send-pulses Sending scheduled pulses...

It was set to trigger every day. We set it up a week ago...

I checked the trigger details for you (attached )and also only showing the first date when the pulse was set up.

@paulmeta
Well, there’s the problem. Now we just have to figure out why it’s not being “fired” even though it’s scheduled.

Not quite sure why it’s set to fire at the time similar to creation, when it should be firing hourly.
I have a suspicion that it’s related to the problem.

Do you see any errors in the log related to Quartz (that’s the scheduler name), since startup until now?

Thanks @flamber
I searched the logs for anything dealing with quartz, I found only 1 error and I’m not sure its related?

The stack trace was insane so I’ve cut out the middle for you

05-01 04:00:49 ERROR sync.util :: Error generating fingerprint for Field 971 ‘team_id’
java.lang.ClassCastException: class java.lang.String cannot be cast to class java.lang.Number (java.lang.String and java.lang.Number are in module java.base of loader ‘bootstrap’)
at clojure.lang.RT.doubleCast(RT.java:1355)
at bigml.histogram.core$when_double.invokeStatic(core.clj:104)
at bigml.histogram.core$when_double.invoke(core.clj:103)
at bigml.histogram.core$insert_simple_BANG_.invokeStatic(core.clj:109)
at bigml.histogram.core$insert_simple_BANG_.invoke(core.clj:106)
at metabase.sync.analyze.fingerprint.fingerprinters$histogram.invokeStatic(fingerprinters.clj:178)

at metabase.task.sync_databases.SyncAndAnalyzeDatabase.execute(sync_databases.clj:42)
at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:213)
at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:557)

@paulmeta That fingerprinting error is this issue:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/10617 or https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/7034

As the pulse trigger problem, I’m 99% sure that you’re experiencing this issue:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/10088

1 Like

I had this issue too. The pulse between Metabase and Slack stopped working randomly.

Looking at Admin -> Troubleshooting -> Logs, I was able to see:

020-08-31T08:00:11+02:00 ERROR metabase.integrations.slack Slack channel namedmetabase_filesis missing! Please create or unarchive the channel in order to complete the Slack integration. The channel is used for storing graphs that are included in Pulses and MetaBot answers.

After unarchiving the metabase channel as suggested in the log, the Pulse started working again! Hope this helps and thanks @flamber

@gidi9 Make sure you’re using 0.36.4 - it contains several fixes for Slack. But your issue isn’t related to this topic.

Facing the same issue. Have my timezones correct. Metabase is on latest (0.37).

I have a pulse email that delivers every 1st of the month. After restart, it works for the first time. Then, it acts as if the pulse sleeps. It does not happen the next month, though metabase can be accessed without issue.

@tashi
Post “Diagnostic Info” from Admin > Troubleshooting.
What’s the trigger details on metabase.task.send-pulses.job in Admin > Troubleshooting > Jobs?

@flamber

I do have multiple pulses. But info on this seems to show only for one of them.

@tashi
Post “Diagnostic Info” from Admin > Troubleshooting.
No, that’s the job - not the task - there’s only one job, but a task for each pulse.
Looks like you have just restarted Metabase, so it didn’t even have a “Last Fired”.

Facing same issue on a metabase instance hosted in Docker and using Postgres as DB. Metabase version is v0.37.5

@flamber Restarted Metabase recently so Last fired looks empty here too

Happy to provide more info as needed. Thanks!

@abchk1234 Without knowing if “Next Fire Time” was off-hour, then it’s hard to know if it was the same problem.
It would probably require skimming through all the logs from startup until the problem occurs - I’m not sure anything will be in the log, but we can hope, since we haven’t been able to reproduce this issue.

Also a screenshot of the Scheduler Info from Admin > Troubleshooting > Jobs would be good too, when it’s not working vs when it’s working.

1 Like