Resolution problem

Hello,

I couldn't find this on github or the forums, perhaps couldn't search properly... please redirect me if it's already mentioned before.

I have created a dashboard with 2 objects;
a table that is 15 columns wide and a text box for explaining the columns above. Everything is almost pixel perfect on 1920x1080.

However, if one looks at this dashboard on lower resolutions (or same resolution but with 150% windows text size increase) there is a strange behavior. Some of the columns are moved off screen, which is expected, but somehow, 4 rows are also hidden and we have a row spanner on the bottom. I've measured with an on screen ruler, the row height doesn't change much, at least not to the degree to cause the lines to be hidden. The same applies to the text box, you can see below that the text is getting cut off in the second box and the rest is inaccessible. There is no scroll bar.

Is there a remedy for this? I would gladly try recompiling the .jar file if that's what it would take.

Hi @Bahadur
The textbox missing scroll is this issue:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/8333 - upvote by clicking :+1: on the first post

As for the table getting paginated, when you set font-size to 150% - isn’t that what should be expected?
You say that the row height doesn’t change much - how much is that, from what to what?
The pagination switcher takes up at least one row, add that to the row size difference.
Would you expect the dashboard to automatically adjust the height of the cards based on font-size?
I think you’re looking for this:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/10364 - upvote by clicking :+1: on the first post

Hi @flamber,

thanks for the first link, but let me try to illustrate the second point.

here are two screenshots at different BROWSER sizes next to each other. I just resized the browser to half width, no meddling of resolution or system text size ratios.

On the left I can see 10 rows (since I sized my box to contain all initially), on the right, with less room to the right, I expect a horizontal scroll to indicate the now overflow-hidden columns. That extra horizontal scroll could cause a row to be hidden since the scroll itself, even though slim, takes some horizontal space.
But you can see that 7 out of my initial 10 rows are hidden.The row heights are still the same (around 150 pixelse until CP row)

There seems to be another problem here

@Bahadur
I don’t get it - so it’s not font-size, but some other zoom functionality in the OS?
It would probably help a lot if you used Sample Dataset and created a test dashboard, so you don’t need to cut in the images.
I haven’t seen anything like that before, so you’re welcome to open an issue about it.

Sure thing…

I did delete the sample dataset, but I created a table view with only timestamps and whatnot, so it’s OK for me to show it.

the first thing I do in the video is to doubleclick browser window to resize it to half screen, then free resize.
here is a screen recording of the problem

@Bahadur Okay, so you are looking for exactly what 10364 is proposing - a pixel perfect dashboard on any resolution.
Metabase uses responsive design, so it tries to accommodate any type of device/resolution.

I don't understand honestly, I've seen responsive pages, but they don't hide rows if the width gets trimmed (I'm not going into the fact that it shows all rows below a certain width :slight_smile: )

I really don’t want it to be pixel perfect upon resizing. I don’t understand why it starts hiding rows where there is absolutely no need to do so. The columns are disappearing and that is expected behavior. It breaks my initial setup as it should. Showing a horizontal scroll bar. But why are the rows gone? (Why is the rum gone? :slight_smile: )

@Bahadur I’m fairly sure this is tied into how embedding is handled, but generally the table keep the amount of rows defined by you. It seems like it’s trying to be too responsive and also modifying the height, when the width is changed, which doesn’t feel correct.
There’s an issue open, which sounds very related:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/11762

thanks for the pointer @flamber. I 've added the demonstration video there. Let’s hope it will get some tract among 1000+ issues