Slack Integration Issue: Slack channel named metabase_files is missing

Hello - having an issue with Slack integration where the bot is able to list questions but not show them. Upon attempting to show a question, the below error is invoked in Slack:

"Slack channel named metabase_files is missing! Please create or unarchive the channel in order to complete the Slack integration. The channel is used for storing graphs that are included in Pulses and MetaBot answers."

I have added the bot to the channel. In troubleshooting, I noticed that within Dashboard Subscriptions, I am not able to find the channel "metabase_files" nor my own user ID. Other channels and users are appearing.

I've tried archiving, renaming, and having old metabase_files channels removed from the workspace, as well as trying to set everything back up with a new token. Same results. v.39.1

{
"browser-info": {
"language": "en-US",
"platform": "MacIntel",
"userAgent": "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.15; rv:89.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/89.0",
"vendor": ""
},
"system-info": {
"file.encoding": "Cp1252",
"java.runtime.name": "OpenJDK Runtime Environment",
"java.runtime.version": "11.0.11+9",
"java.vendor": "AdoptOpenJDK",
"java.vendor.url": "https://adoptopenjdk.net/",
"java.version": "11.0.11",
"java.vm.name": "OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM",
"java.vm.version": "11.0.11+9",
"os.name": "Windows Server 2016",
"os.version": "10.0",
"user.language": "en",
"user.timezone": "America/Los_Angeles"
},
"metabase-info": {
"databases": [
"sqlserver",
"postgres",
"h2"
],
"hosting-env": "unknown",
"application-database": "postgres",
"application-database-details": {
"database": {
"name": "PostgreSQL",
"version": "13.2"
},
"jdbc-driver": {
"name": "PostgreSQL JDBC Driver",
"version": "42.2.18"
}
},
"run-mode": "prod",
"version": {
"date": "2021-04-27",
"tag": "v0.39.1",
"branch": "release-x.39.x",
"hash": "6beba48"
},
"settings": {
"report-timezone": "US/Pacific"
}
}
}

Hi @brian
I'm not sure what has happened with your setup, but make sure that you have created the metabase_files channel before setting up Slack in Metabase.
Metabase will synchronize channels on first connection, but then this is cached for up to 12 hours, so perhaps that's the reason why it's not seeing the channel.
Just for reference for others:
https://www.metabase.com/docs/latest/administration-guide/09-setting-up-slack.html

Hi @flamber
Thanks for the feedback. The setup instructions actually has creating metabase_files as the last step. It does seem to be a persitent caching issue, though the configuration has been live for a few weeks. I have disabled the Slack configuration within Metabase, disabled/removed the Bot within Slack, and will set everything up again in 24 hours.

@brian Remove Slack config, restart Metabase, then memory cache is automatically flushed.

@flamber Will do - we definitely did that several times during our troubleshooting initially. Have Metabase .jar running in a container on Windows 2016. Tried restarting the service as well as rebooting the entire server at the time. Will do so again.

@brian There's thousands of installations with Slack setup, so I don't know why you're having problems.
Check the Metabase logs - perhaps there's more details - Admin > Troubleshooting > Logs.

@flamber Removed the bot completely, waited 24 hours. Rebooted Server/Metabase, setup Slack again (metabase_files channel was already created), same results. Very odd. The Slack users and Channel list is the same as before (missing myself and metabase_files). From logs:

1/15 Jetty threads: 4/50 (4 idle, 0 queued) (141 total active threads) Queries in flight: 3 (0 queued)
[96cbd625-0fba-4579-8caa-8d5c52a90bcd] 2021-07-09T11:46:14-07:00 ERROR metabase.integrations.slack Slack channel named metabase_files is missing! Please create or unarchive the channel in order to complete the Slack integration. The channel is used for storing graphs that are included in Pulses and MetaBot answers.
[96cbd625-0fba-4579-8caa-8d5c52a90bcd] 2021-07-09T11:46:14-07:00 ERROR metabase.metabot.slack Error in Metabot command
clojure.lang.ExceptionInfo: Slack channel named metabase_files is missing! Please create or unarchive the channel in order to complete the Slack integration. The channel is used for storing graphs that are included in Pulses and MetaBot answers. {:status-code 400}

@brian I'm not sure what is happening, but try starting Metabase with more debug logging - example:
java -Dlog4j.configurationFile="https://log4j.us/v2/templates/metabase?trace=metabase.metabot" -jar metabase.jar