SOLVED: Re-login required every couple of minutes

Hi there

Since a couple of weeks, I need to re-login almost every time I re-open my metabase instance. This is device independent, happens on my iPhone as well as in Edge on my desktop. Earlier, my session was valid for a couple of days - now, even within minutes, I have to re-login. Any hints where I should look for to fix this?

Hi @samuel-t
Post "Diagnostic Info" from Admin > Troubleshooting.
When you login, then the session is stored in the browser (metabase_SESSION) and that correlates to the session available in the Metabase application database table core_session.
Check if the session is available in the application database, and check the life of the browser session in your browser developer Application/Storage-tab.

hi @flamber, thank you for replying that fast. further below the troubleshooting log. i see that the cookie has been set in my browser (though, i don't see when it expires) as well as the entry in core_session.

Screenshot 2022-10-06 170140

{
  "browser-info": {
    "language": "de",
    "platform": "Win32",
    "userAgent": "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/106.0.0.0 Safari/537.36 Edg/106.0.1370.34",
    "vendor": "Google Inc."
  },
  "system-info": {
    "file.encoding": "UTF-8",
    "java.runtime.name": "OpenJDK Runtime Environment",
    "java.runtime.version": "11.0.16+8-post-Ubuntu-0ubuntu120.04",
    "java.vendor": "Ubuntu",
    "java.vendor.url": "https://ubuntu.com/",
    "java.version": "11.0.16",
    "java.vm.name": "OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM",
    "java.vm.version": "11.0.16+8-post-Ubuntu-0ubuntu120.04",
    "os.name": "Linux",
    "os.version": "5.4.0-126-generic",
    "user.language": "en",
    "user.timezone": "Europe/Zurich"
  },
  "metabase-info": {
    "databases": [
      "mysql"
    ],
    "hosting-env": "unknown",
    "application-database": "mysql",
    "application-database-details": {
      "database": {
        "name": "MySQL",
        "version": "8.0.30-0ubuntu0.20.04.2"
      },
      "jdbc-driver": {
        "name": "MariaDB Connector/J",
        "version": "2.7.6"
      }
    },
    "run-mode": "prod",
    "version": {
      "date": "2022-09-29",
      "tag": "v0.44.4",
      "branch": "release-x.44.x",
      "hash": "382d728"
    },
    "settings": {
      "report-timezone": null
    }
  }
}

@samuel-t It never expires until you close your browser (though Metabase internally will only allow the session active for 2 weeks by default). There's a bug in v44, which causes it to not store a cookie, but only create a browser session. It has been fixed in upcoming v45: https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/24715
I cannot tell if that's the problem you're seeing, but I'm guessing so, since it could be specific browsers that might clear the session incorrect if they sleep.

i guess that's the same issue i'm facing - looking forward to v45 then! thank you very much for your kind and quick help.

Hi @flamber - any ETA for v0.45?

@samuel-t I cannot provide you with an ETA, within the next month or two.