Try out the new 0.42 release

We're having some issues interacting with the Slack integration.

Created app successfully and it is able to send dashboard subscriptions fine - but after adding it to channels it doesn't seem to respond to @Metabase help or metabot help etc. Any ideas? Potentially a network permissions issue on our side - but since it can post subscriptions fine, seems unlikely?

Any pointers/suggestions would be appreciated :slight_smile:

I also installed RC2 to test out the models again, but still not usable for me.
As soon as I do a JOIN in it, it's broken.

Edit: actually it's always broken for me. (same error as I posted earlyer)

@cobalt Please add the Sample Database and provide steps to reproduce.

@geoffcowan The MetaBot has been completely removed.

@flamber - well that explains that, thanks !

I'm unable to reproduce on that database, but i did find the reason of breaking.
The error was always pointing to a specific field missing.
""ERROR: column source.betaalmiddel does not exist Position: 2836""

So i checked the datamodel and it was set at 'Category' and show values: use custom mapping.
When i disabled the custom mapping and recreated the model, i got the same error on an other field with the same field settings.

I also removed the custom mapping, recreated the model and i was able to do it.

I tried to break it in the sample databases, but i did not succeed.

Important to know, i had to create the model over and over again. If i used a model i created before the 'fix' , it was still broken.

@cobalt Sounds a lot like https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/15578, which didn't make it into rc2 and currently unsure if it will go into 0.42.0 or later.

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Custom column as date

Hey ! May I kindly ask why ? It looked like a cool feature to me. Also, I thought migrating to a slack app would bring more capabilities... but I can't see (yet) the advantages.

@mazzma12 It was legacy code, so it would need a full re-write to work correctly without all the known problems, and too few people were using it and was difficult to manage permissions for.

There's no real advantages to the shift to App - which is also why we kept using the Bot implementation.

I have a question regardin those 'Models' and Dashboard filters:

Is it correct, that you are now able -->to write a native sql question --> convert it to a model --> and using any field in a Dashboard as a filter without setting a parameter within the sql code ?

If this is correct, what do we have to consider to make it work?

@heldino Currently not without this issue being fixed:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/19744 - upvote by clicking :+1: on the first post

1 Like

Thank you for your kind explanation @flamber I understand the motivation behind.
But I am not sure to grab the last part. Do you hint that we can still use the metabot on Slack ? It looks like it is disabled since the migration to version 0.42

@mazzma12 MetaBot is completely removed. There's no MetaBot code anymore.

Again, just so there isn't any misunderstandings on what exactly MetaBot is; it's the functionality that you probably didn't use, where you could write commands from within Slack like @metabot question 123
https://www.metabase.com/docs/v0.41/users-guide/11-metabot.html
It has absolutely nothing to do with Metabase sending Subscriptions/Pulses/Alerts to Slack, which is still supported.
https://www.metabase.com/docs/latest/administration-guide/09-setting-up-slack.html

We also ran into some issues with the new Slack App. Maybe someone can help us on that:

It seems that new private channels don't appear in the channel search when creating Alerts or Dashboard Subscriptions. There are some old private ones from our previous slack bot integration. However, new ones don't show up. We tried adding the App to the channel as well as the old Slack bot.

Did someone encounter similar issues or is there a solution for it?
I am assuming that it has to do something with the permission scope. We added group:read but that also did not fix it.

@Somtom It seems like we're only retrieving the public channels:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/blob/master/src/metabase/integrations/slack.clj#L156
So I'm unsure how you are seeing some old private channels, since those should have been expunged on restart. Not quite if this is intended or a limitation of how the App works.

Wow that was a quick reply thanks!

Let me take that on the old channels back actually. I miss interpreted one channel name. In our case it was actually nice to be able to use private channels as well in the past. Haven't done a lot of clojure yet, but I would be happy to contribute in case that is an easy thing.

@Somtom I don't know what it would take, but likely including private channels in the filter, but also permissions, so they're even retrieved from Slack. Then I don't know what would be required beyond that. In other words, I don't think it would be simple and there's several caveats and would require tests too.

Guys, I'm using Metabase Cloud and my account seems not upgrade to the latest version. In "Setting > About Metabase" it says that I'm on version 1.41.6

What should I do to upgrade on 1.42 version?

@oleg.stepanyuk Have a look here: When will my Metabase Cloud instance be upgraded?

1 Like