Variable in date_trunc causes error

I am trying to add a custom time period for the date_trunc SQL function ('week', 'month' etc) but as soon as I remove the string 'month' and add the variable (even if I have 'month' in the input) it causes the following error

ERROR: column "source.created_at" must appear in the GROUP BY clause or be used in an aggregate function Position: 22

DB is postgreql. This was a working question that I converted to SQL to add these variables

SELECT date_trunc({{duration}}, "source"."created_at") 

Hi @ed.s
Are you sure you're not changing other things, when replacing the string with the variable?
Try posting your entire query.
Alternatively, you can try something like this, where you use a case:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/6583#issuecomment-541742278

original code

SELECT date_trunc('month', "source"."created_at") AS "created_at", avg("source"."story_views_eng") AS "avg"
FROM (SELECT "public"."posts"."story_views" AS "story_views", ((CAST("public"."posts"."story_views" AS float) / CASE WHEN "public"."posts"."following" = 0 THEN NULL ELSE "public"."posts"."following" END) * 100) AS "story_views_eng", "public"."posts"."created_at" AS "created_at" FROM "public"."posts") "source"
WHERE "source"."story_views" > 0
GROUP BY date_trunc('month', "source"."created_at")
ORDER BY date_trunc('month', "source"."created_at") ASC

Adjusted

SELECT date_trunc({{Duration}}, "source"."created_at") AS "created_at", avg("source"."story_views_eng") AS "avg"
FROM (SELECT "public"."posts"."story_views" AS "story_views", ((CAST("public"."posts"."story_views" AS float) / CASE WHEN "public"."posts"."following" = 0 THEN NULL ELSE "public"."posts"."following" END) * 100) AS "story_views_eng", "public"."posts"."created_at" AS "created_at" FROM "public"."posts") "source"
GROUP BY date_trunc('month', "source"."created_at")
ORDER BY date_trunc('month', "source"."created_at") ASC

I've also tried adding the same variable to the group_by and order_by sections in case they needed to be changed together but I get the same errors

@ed.s But you also need to change your date_trunc('month', or date_trunc({{Duration}}, since those needs to match.
Remember that the variables automatically includes quoting, so you should not try to type that in the filter widget.

Same problem. Had tried this before but to no avail.

SELECT date_trunc({{Duration}}, "source"."created_at") AS "created_at", avg("source"."story_views_eng") AS "avg"
GROUP BY date_trunc({{Duration}}, "source"."created_at")
ORDER BY date_trunc({{Duration}}, "source"."created_at") ASC

and for clarity I am not adding additional quotation marks either

@ed.s Okay, so this is caused by some weird query planner in Postgres.
You can either do this:

GROUP BY 1
ORDER BY 1 ASC

Or this:

SELECT date_trunc({{Duration}}, "source"."created_at") AS "my_aliased_created_at", avg("source"."story_views_eng") AS "avg"
GROUP BY "my_aliased_created_at"
ORDER BY "my_aliased_created_at" ASC

Thank you for this. The first option works beautifully!
There is an unintended consequence in that it's removed the ability to filter by date now... i am guessing this is because it's been converted to an sql query that it's not allowing the automatic application of date filtering? Or is there a way to reintroduce it?

@ed.s Add a variable inside of the sub-select to filter the period, example Field Filter connected to posts.created_at in the sidebar:
FROM "public"."posts" WHERE {{fieldfilter}}) "source"
More examples:
https://www.metabase.com/learn/sql-questions/field-filters

Superstar! Works brilliantly now. The flexibility of this tool is amazing... second only to the support :+1: