[0.30.2: DONE] Portuguese Translation

Guys, there is a small portion of metabase still not translated into portuguese. It is rather minor, but here it goes:

Metabase is getting better as time goes by. Keep up the excellent work!

A bit more things to translate:

Thanks for the reports, Lucas! We’re now actually using a tool call POEditor to allow anyone to help translate things in Metabase, without any required technical knowledge. If you’re interested in helping out with Portuguese, you can get started here: https://poeditor.com/join/project/ynjQmwSsGh

I think you’re right that the new bit of text about pinning dashboards got shipped in 0.30.1 without being translated. As for the other two items you pointed out in your second comment, those appear to have be translated into Portuguese, so I’m not quite sure what’s up.

The pinning message is also covered by this GitHub issue:

... and the translation is already in POEditor:

Holy cow, that tool is amazing! I’m surely contributing to that whenever I can! Great stuff there! Thanks for the quick reply!

1 Like

I’ll be a bit of a dare-devil MUHAHAHAH and – prematurely – mark this as [0.30.2 DONE].

Yep, POEditor is cool - it’s just that there are so many of you pt-BR people here… so it’s currently already at a 100% translation. But I guess new features flowing in can always do something to that :wink:

1 Like

Yep, things should be back to 100% translated for pt-BR in version 0.30.2 thanks to the awesome translation community.

1 Like

Hi there,

We are already at 0.30.3, and I’m having a hard time to make my browser accept the language change. Ath the backend, strings are mixed between pt-br and english. At the front end, the string “no result” also still shows in english.

Any hints?

It's probably the never-ending hunt for the perfect translation from here to eternity. The translations in Metabase are still young - and they can only become more towards perfect by use - and people noticing glitches and gaps here and there. When new code gets with new user-visible strings get introduced they should be marked according to this section in the developers guide Redirecting… ...

There's the possibility that those can be forgotten - but it's an area where it's easy for most people even those who would consider themseles as non-developers to:

1. contribute changes to add i18n marking in the codebase
  2. Add the translations in POeditor - see a few post above

:slight_smile: :es: :fr: :cn: :de: :brazil: :norway: ... etc.

1 Like

Jørn already wrote some great notes, but I'm specifically interested in this line you wrote. What behavior are you seeing exactly beyond the back-end string and the "no result" phrase you already noted? Is the rest of the UI consistently being displayed in Portuguese?

Hi Max. Its looks like some kind of cache, but I've already cleaned everything and it still looks like this:

If I open in another computer, it works well.

Guys, how are we to proceed when a single word has multiple translations?

The word “share” is translated at “compartilhar”, which is correct. This translation doesn’t make sense for the field type, though. This can mean share a question, for instance, which is indeed “Compartilhar”. But “share” as a field type, refering to some decimal value (ie, share of a given row value in the total value) in Portugese would be something like “Fração”.

I added the word “fração” as a mean to point out another option, but, now, in metabase in portugese, the field type is labeled “Compartilhar fração”, which makes even less sense. How to proceed?

Also, has anyone reported issues with Edge translations? I’ve read Edge has no separated langage settings, they are system level. When I tried to use Metabase on Edge, only one or another term were in Portuguese, but the interface was nearly totally in English. Am I missing something?

Sounds like separate English terms in the source code are needed to not have the two meanings lumped into one. Here’s the current source string for the meaning “Fraction” for a field type:

I’d suggest you submit a GitHub pull request for that.

1 Like

I’d gladly do so, only that I don’t know exactly how to proceed. All I’ve done so far is read and comment on some github issues.

Opened an issue:

Not sure about the proper procedure, tho.

Hi there, people!
I’m trying to translate metabase translation in spanish
I’m integrate metabase with ngnix and mysql server
Please help me how can I translate

just set your browser language to Spanish, that should get you the application in that language

We can do this in any another way, because we can not sett multiple browser settings.
Please Provide me a Proper solution I need very urgently reply ASAP.

We don’t officially support a setting a global language yet, but if you’re using a reverse proxy you may be able to force it by overriding the Accept-Language header, for example in the nginx config:

location / {
    proxy_set_header Accept-Language es;
    proxy_pass http://localhost:3000;
}