Cant login to metabase as admin

Metabase v0.26.2
CentOS Linux 7.4
Running metabase.jar

$ ps -ef | grep metabase
root 107792 1 1 15:06 ? 00:02:44 java -jar /opt/metabase/metabase.jar

I installed Metabase and I am the administrator. The system worked fine for a week. Today I logged out of Metabase, tried to log back in with my password. It says “Password: did not match stored password”.

I click “I seem to have forgotten my password”, it says “Please contact an administrator to have them reset your password”.

How do I reset my own admin password when I cant login?

If rebuilding your Metabase setup is not possible I would investigate the .db files the jar generates in the folder it is running in. Someone might have some idea how to open the db and edit the admin password? I don’t know how to do this off-hand.

Is it possible you moved the .jar file? Because if it can’t find the .db files in the same folder it will act like a new installation. Are you using LDAP or GoogleAuth?

A future suggestion is to setup the email section of the admin panel so that when you click the forgotten password link it will send you a reset link via email! (make sure to also set the “Site URL” setting as it uses that for the reset link)

Is it possible you moved the .jar file?

No

Are you using LDAP or GoogleAuth?

No

setup the email section of the admin panel

I did setup the email section.

so that when you click the forgotten password link it will send you a reset link via email!

No it does not send a reset link. It only says “Please contact an administrator to have them reset your password”.

Sorry for the late reply, I didn’t notice this in my inbox. Are you still having an issue or did you move on?

When we setup the email section if I clicked the “forgot password” it gave me the same message as you, but I also got an email in my inbox with a one-off reset link. This could be because we have LDAP setup and it checks the email field of the user object…

Might be out of luck that way, but I did see some posts on here about going into the h2 DB that metabase stores settings in and resetting it that way.

EDIT: found one How do you reset a user's password without an email service configured or admin access?

Metabase usernames are case specific. Have you checked that you are entering the admin username with the correct capitalisation? Getting this wrong will also generate the “Password: did not match stored password” error message.

Good point by @jmbegley … reminded me of another possible snag:

trim user name before set #6519 <-- means spaces in the input field matter!

this PR recently go merged in but was after the latest release v0.27.2 - so will only help from some point in the future when another Metabase version is released.